Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Progress Report

Going on 2 weeks here. Subtle, yet MAJOR changes have come about since putting my son on this diet. My husband, who was a bit skeptical in the beginning, has even noticed a difference. My husband is such a connected, caring, loving and involved father to our children. When I told him that not only would we be eating a a bit differently, but also it might up our grocery bill maybe $30 a week extra, he didn't hesitate at all and said anything to cure our son. You see, we don't have health insurance. It is a choice we have made. We don't see medical doctors and we don't use lab/man created medicines. The only way I could see having health insurance being of benefit to our family is using it to see our Chiropractor on a more regular basis than we already do. Really though, it costs $35 a visit for my husband and me and $20 for our children. Think about this, if we were paying $500 a month on health insurance, we would still have a co-pay of $50 a visit. I know this because we use to fall victim into the health insurance scam. It works out better this way, plus we are saving $500 a month!

Anyway, back to my point. Spending a little extra money a week on food that WILL cure my son is well worth it. We have already made certain sacrifices in order for me to be a stay at home mother -- a stay at home mother who home schools our children, at that. Life could be easier if I put my oldest in government operated school systems and put my younger two in daycare. Life could be a LOT easier if I registered our family more so with the state and got all of us on Hoosier Healthwise. Lord knows we would all qualify! We won't though because it is no one else's responsibility to care for my children but my own.

In reality though, I haven't spent more on groceries than usual. Last week's grocery trip cost me around $70.

All gluten free.

Our usual grocery bill normally comes out to be around $60-70 a week at the grocery store. And then I usually spend an additional $40 at the farm, where I get my beef, in season produce, raw cheeses, raw milk, raw yogurt and jams, honey, etc. 

Onto the progress!

As I have mentioned in a previous blog, Iain is talking more. His speech seems to be improving daily! He is speaking in full on sentences. He is more alert and actually GIVES eye contact as he is speaking to you or if you are speaking to him. This is MAJOR! When I would get down on his level, I would literally have to hold his face in my hands in my hands and ask him to give me eye contact. He would for a second and then look away when I would begin to talk. It was so frustrating! Now I don't have to do that. I just say his name and he looks directly in my eyes. We can have a conversation without him getting so distracted or without me getting frustrated. 

Another difference we have noticed is that he isn't AS sensitive to light and noises. When we are at home, he doesn't cover his ears when we flush the toilet. When we are at a store and he has to use the restroom, he will still cover his ears from flushing those toilets. That's okay. There's improvement :) We had a nice day together as a family yesterday. We went to Nashville, IN to enjoy the beautiful Fall day. It was bright and sunny out. Iain didn't have any issues being out in the sun. He was in a GREAT mood! He ran, jumped, skipped...he was a normal little boy who enjoyed collecting rocks and picking flowers. I'm so thankful to my friend, Heather, who showed me the path of gluten free(dom)!  As a side note, I still have been headache free - except when my friend was in town and I went a little crazy when we went out to eat. Pastas, pizzas, desserts...oh, it was amazing. But, the next day I struggled with a migraine. A migraine that was on the verge of putting me into bed  in a dark room with a cold wash cloth over my face. Also, since I have discovered that my headaches are caused by GLUTEN, I have cut out my Coca-Cola addiction. I have been coke free for 4 days now. *shakes* *twitches* No, not really. I haven't had any side effects from cutting it out cold turkey. No need to because it wasn't the lack of caffeine effecting me.


My beautiful family - taken in Nashville yesterday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment