Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I almost burnt down my kitchen, but at least I got something tasty out of it!

Today I had a little bit of a mishap. I am terrified of fires. In fact, I have this fear of dying in a fire or drowning in a shallow body of water. Hmmm, I'm thinking I might need to get this analyzed a little more. Anyway, I wanted to make the children something different than the usual oatmeal, fruit and turkey bacon. I kind of get bored making the same thing over and over and over and over...you get the hint. I didn't tell them what I was going to serve them, I just put it on a plate and told them to chow down. Surprisingly, no negative comments or saying, "I'm full" after one bite. My daughter ate every single bit of it up. My son, on the other hand, didn't want the red bell peppers, so my daughter happily took those off his hands.


Turkey links (GF, SF and MSG free), organic peach slices, organic red bell peppers, organic kiwi slices.

The only thing that my son ate differently was that he wanted a banana and raw cheese along with his turkey links, kiwi and peaches. I was okay with that. Everything was eaten and I had to even make myself a breakfast. Normally, I just wait until they're done eating so I can eat their left overs. *Rarely* do they ever eat an entire plate of food.

Then lunch time rolled around. I have never ever had anything catch on fire. Wait. I take that back. One time when I was 5 or 6, I had this genius idea to take a small piece of scrap paper and see if a lit candle would have any type of reaction. Derp. It had a scary reaction, indeed. The tiny piece of paper, that couldn't have bigger than 4" x 4" went up so fast! Maybe that's where my fear of dying in a fire stems from? Who knows. Anyway, that was over 20 years ago. I haven't caught anything on fire in 20 years! *pats self on back* My dear, sweet princess requested fried rice. I can make a mean "flied lice" (I'm Asian, what do you expect?), except for today. -.- I turned on the stove, started to heat my olive oil, added my carrots and celery and POOF! My stove caught on fire! My children heard probably every "curse" word in the book come out of my mouth. My 7 month old was under my feet so I quickly scooped him up and literally tossed him on the couch. I don't do well under pressure and I proved that to myself today. I grabbed my phone - that was in the other room, while my stove is on fire, and call my MOM! WHAT THE HELL COULD MY MOM HAVE DONE?! And to make it worse, I called her house. She works on Tuesday's. HA! I hung up and literally ran in circles around my kitchen island trying to figure out what to do. I turned on some fans. Then I took a stock pot and covered the big flame up and took some smaller pot covers and used those. Hey! My brain was thinking. It worked! My house was is smokey and it stinks. I'm diffusing some peppermint essential oils which seem to be helping a little bit. After that fiasco was over, I calmed down and finished making the fried rice. 


3 C. rice - cooked
Braggs Liquid Aminos
Organic carrots - chopped
Organic celery - chopped
Organic zucchini - chopped
2 eggs - scrambled
Pickled Ginger
Sea salt
Pepper
EVOO

  • Cook rice and set aside.
  • In a stock pot, warm EVOO on medium-low heat. Add carrots and celery. DON'T CATCH KITCHEN ON FIRE!
  • Once the veggies are a little soft, add the zucchini, rice, sea salt, pepper and allow to cook for a bit Add the Braggs Liquid Aminos. Don't over cook.
  • Once all ingredients are warmed up, add the scrambled egg and pickled ginger. Allow to cook for 5-10 more minutes. 
  • Serve :)
Some other alternatives: Add chicken, beef, shrimp, pork, whatever. Also, get creative in the veggie department! I usually add onions and peas to the mix, but didn't have peas this time around. Did you know that some frozen veggies have gluten added to them? Pretty messed up. I guess it's fresh of nothing for us now. You can also add fresh minced garlic and/or fresh grated ginger, too. Play it up! The more colorful a dish is, the happier your body will be :)



1 comment: