Wednesday, September 14, 2011

There MUST be a better way!

I have always heard about how a traumatic birth could cause issues later on in life, but I never thought it would happen to one of my own children. There have been many obstacles that I have had to overcome in the past few years - well, since my son was born in April of 2008. Many people see him and think, "Oh, he's fine. He's just a boy. Boys are slower than girls..." While that might be true, as my son's mother, I know in my heart something is not clicking the way it should be. People seem to forget that *I* am the one who lives and cares for him 24/7, they are not. They only see a slight glimpse when they visit for an hour or two. They have no idea the obstacles I cross over every single day with my son. I'm sure friends and family mean well by saying that they think he is fine, but to be honest, it does hurt my feelings. I wish he was "just fine", I really do! And this is why I'm choosing to go gluten free.
A good friend of mine recently shared a check list with me to see if my son has some sensory issues. It's called the Sensory Processing Disorder Checklist. After going down this check list, it became even more clear to me that my son fits a lot of it. It also became more clear to me that my husband also fits into this, too.
I talked to my friend who shared the checklist with me more about it. She encouraged me to put my son on a gluten free diet to see if it would help. Her son also had sensory issues. Since she put him on a gluten free diet 2 years ago, he shows no more "Autistic" behaviors.  The more I have researched into going gluten free, the more I realize that this could be just the thing I need to do for my son, and husband. I will also be cutting out artificial dyes, processed sugars...well, I'll be trying to eliminate processed foods all together. I don't know how easy this will be because it seems like almost EVERYTHING has gluten in it, but I'm determined to make my son better. I have always been a believer that food can either heal you or make you sick, so I choose to allow the foods I give my son heal him.

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -Hippocrates

1 comment:

  1. ((Hugs)) You can do this. After learning about SPD with Asher, I realized that had I been a child in today's society, I too would've been diagnosed with SPD. Instead, I was just called a whiner and a baby. Some of the symptoms I outgrew; others just changed. (Depression in high school to the point of being suicidal; anxiety attacks in my early twenties). Changing my diet (first going gluten free, then dairy free, then adding in probiotics and B6 supplements) has cured me, though it took me years to get all the way there. I'm still working on fighting the yeast.

    ReplyDelete