Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Chicken over noddles

I haven't had the chance to clean out my pantry yet. But, obviously we needed to eat dinner tonight. It turns out, I had quite a bit of gluten free ingredients on hand - at least, enough to make a decent meal. The best part about tonight's dinner was that it was a success! Everyone enjoyed it, including my picky eater. Now, I will admit, my son LOVES curry. He likes his foods to be very flavorful! In our home, I have to make curry at least once a week, and that's being quite conservative. Anyway, here is what I made.

3 lbs. free range, organic chicken - cut into bite size pieces (even though we are only a family of 5, I make extra for left overs)
1 white organic onion - chopped
5 big organic carrots - cut maybe 1/4 inch
1 large organic yellow bell pepper - chopped
1 large organic red bell pepper - chopped
5 big organic mushrooms -chopped
Curry powder
shredded coconut
sea salt
pepper
Organic unrefined coconut oil
Braggs Liquid Aminos (thank goodness it's GF!)
Trader Joe's Rice Sticks

This is how I made it:
I added the coconut oil to a cast iron pan. I added quite a bit because I've noticed it gives the chicken and veggies a very faint coconut flavor, plus it makes the chicken pretty moist! Add the chicken to the heated oil and sprinkle on the curry powder, sea salt, pepper, and shredded coconut. Let that cook for awhile and then add the Bragg's Liquid Aminos. I eye ball the serving of it, but I used it like I would make a stir fry. While that is cooking, make the Rice Sticks. They are just white rice pasta. DELICIOUS, might I add! I only cooked the noodles for 6 minutes. I heard that when cooking rice noodles, you don't want to over do it because then they get gooey. No thanks. After the noodles are done, add the drained noodles to the chicken mixture. Let it cook in with the chicken for 5-10 minutes. Then serve!

It was a hit! The rice noodles are pretty tasty. I can see how they can add a different flavor to many dishes, but definitely in a good way!

1 comment: